Great Oaks Legacy teachers are highly qualified and teach a rigorous college preparatory curriculum that covers traditional academic subjects. Students earn their grades by the level of effort they make to meet the Great Oaks Legacy standard. A “D” is not passing and there is no social promotion.
High Quality Instruction and Consistent Academic Support
We hire teachers who share a firm belief that all students can and will learn, and that parents and teachers should be partners. Our teachers partner with families to optimize learning both inside and outside the classroom. Beginning in Grade 3, consistent academic support is provided by the Great Oaks Legacy, including one hour of personalized tutoring every day.
Great Oaks Legacy Charter School will maintain a focus on developing in scholars the competencies necessary to meet the demands of college preparatory study. Our program focuses on serious academic scholarship combined with mastery of personal discipline and development of good character. The rigor of our academic program equips scholars with the tools they need to excel.
Five Instructional Imperatives drive the school:
- Placing a premium on literacy instruction at the elementary level;
- Hiring and retaining a cadre of high quality, mission-aligned teachers;
- Providing substantially more time for scholars to learn;
- Using a data-driven approach to plan and implement lessons; and
- Employing a variety of customized daily scholar supports.
In order to prepare students for success in college and beyond, the Great Oaks Legacy Elementary School community is committed to the following values:
- I use my words and my smile to send warm, caring messages to others.
- I use my hands to help, not to hurt.
- I read each day at school, and at home.
- I write carefully to express my ideas in my journals and notebooks.
- I speak clearly and I use new words from my growing vocabulary.
- I show that I am eager to learn.
- I focus on my assigned work; I am not disruptive.
- I help my classmates without asking for anything in return.
- I say kind words to my teachers and do kind things for them.
- I excel in school; I don’t just “pass”.
- I strive to improve on my work each day.
- I keep my work area and my cubby neat and clean.
- I will try to fix a problem to make it better, EVEN if I’m not the one who messed it up.
- I treat others as I would like to be treated.
- I follow the behavior rules of my school/bus, EVEN when no one is watching.
- If I’m absent, I make up missed work.
- If I don’t understand my work, I keep trying until my teacher comes to help me.
- I try to learn new things each day.